Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Something To Live By


Sometimes I wonder why I never had the MOST wonderful experiences at EFY, Youth Conference, Girls Academy, or even Seminary. I mean, I sought out spiritual experiences and it's not like I had a horrible time at any of the above mentioned activities, but as I watched the girls and boys at the Thousand Oaks, CA Youth Conference I found myself almost jealous of their friendships with one another and their comraderie.
I was called one sunday evening by my Relief Society president, she asked if I'd be willing to be a chaperone to 5-6 girls at Youth Conference, I agreed. Little did I know that I would desire sleep like never before, and that I would be taught so much more than what I had prepared to teach them. (I am officially old)

Me, Sydney & Jamie
These girls met the Thursday evening of the weekend, they became quick besties.
This is the whole group. Our boys weren't female saavy to say the least. It's ok though, they were all 14-15 years old. BUT, it was awkward because 3 of my girls were 16-18, they were such good sports about it all though.

Alexa, Stephanie, Laura, Jamie, Sydney, & Monica

Our service project was Habitat For Humanity. It was so great to help. After working with these kids I believe that there are some in the world who don't know how to utilitize their bodies for work. (How's that for putting it nicely:)

DIVA's

After every organized activity that ended at 11pm there would be an after party til at least 1am. This is me snuggling up to my girls saying, "Have you talked to any cute boys tonight?...Oh, you haven't? Well, pick it up, Im ready for bed!"

I had 5 girls- one too many for my little Mazda. An amazing woman named Tahne Lutz traded cars with me for the weekend. She had my Mazda 6 while I romped around in her Diesel Expedition. Yes, please.

Sometimes I think how I wish had taken more risks. Like, go on a mission, or applied to be an EFY counselor, or even attempted to get good grades at a JC and transfer to BYU. I think the fear of rejection trumps all. But, I do know that I have experienced my life the way I've needed to so I could be prepared to be the best Youth Chaperone I know how for the girls in my group. I had a fantastic weekend, and learned so much about myself and that I (a 27 year old single woman) have more in common with these girls than not.

7 comments:

Ralph and Claudia said...

We loved hearing the stories--from the silly to the sublime.

Jen said...

Interesting that you said you'd wished you had taken more risks...I look at you and think you have taken many! You are amazing and those girls were so lucky to have you for a couple days...they'll never forget it!

Patricia Peterson said...

Looks like a fun weekend. Those girls were lucky to have you!

Coach Boots said...

Maybe there are so many people have this feeling, just like me, wholesale coach outletbecause of the need for work, for some meetings, or even some parties, Converse all star we need to wear the high heels to take part in.Tiffany Necklace After we came back home, cheap MBT shoeswe always fiercely discard high heels each time, and to knead the ankle so carefully, at the same time, suffering a great deal. MBT shoes on sale So just as the doctors suggest that we should not rely on high heels too much, otherwise, Coach Bootsit brings no benefits to our feet, except for the so short-lived beauty.

evon said...

i like this

nellaal said...

Happy weekend, let us gather together to attend English game!
  nfl jerseys cheap

tommy Benvolio said...

doing a great job, keep up the work going.

- reverse cycle irconditioning adelaide | room air conditioners adelaide | air conditioner service adelaide